Sunday 29 July 2018

A 1000 Anime Triple Bill

Whilst you are waiting for the next review on Cinema of the Abstract - and hopefully after the madness of the previous two, the next will not need to be split up into two different blog posts or involve talking about the fetus of John Arbuckle - may I offer, if you the reader haven't partaken of them already, the following three reviews on my other blog 1000 Anime

Wolf Guy: Enraged Lycanthrope (1975)
From http://www.cinemastance.com/wp-content/uploads/
2017/05/wolf-guy-tiger-claw-victim.jpg

It has been a productive month on that blog, after admitting neglect of it, due to the honest fact that I have neglected my interests in anime, finding it again with a difficult time in my personal life I wish not to disclose, and the simple fact that, to clear through the animation I have lying in the To-Watch pile, I'm forcing myself to churn these reviews out as much to busy myself. Admittedly Wolf Guy: Enraged Lycanthrope (1975), a live action movie, feels like it would be a Cinema of the Abstract review were it not, in a slightly complicated route, based on work by the legendary manga author Kazumasa Hirai which has had animated adaptations too. If anything a Sonny Chiba film where he is part wolf man is compelling to witness, and can be read about HERE

Darkside Blues (1994)
From http://www.anime-kun.net/animes/
screenshots/darkside-blues-4854.jpg

Directly tackling anime, Darkside Blues (1994) is an adaptation of an obscurer Hideyuki Kikuchi work, the same author (of literature and manga) of Vampire Hunter D, Demon City Shinjuku and Wicked CityDarkside Blue is flawed as an adaptation, merely for the fact it is a fragment of a much larger story not adapted to screen, but I'll confess since seeing the feature it's lingered in my mind as a unique genre hybrid, for its idiosyncratic characterizations and being so damn atmospheric, which you can read about HERE

Blue Seagull (1994)
From http://i.imgur.com/Zf855.png

Also, sadly, stuck in my mind, and also released in 1994, is the second venture into South Korean animation for the blog which doesn't leave a great impression weren't it not for my growing knowledge of how important South Korean outsourcing is even for legendary series like The Simpsons. But no one would be proud of Blue Seagull and, completely spoiling the film and warning you that it does debate a tasteless depiction of rape that may upset some readers reading of, the review's as much an exorcism of the viewing experience as much as assessing the severity of the car wreck that is this "erotic action thriller", the messy dissection read HERE

In terms of Cinema of the Abstract, I hope to have some more reviews up within August. Depending on circumstances, there could sadly be a period of absence on both blogs due to how everything sorts itself out in my life, but I am optimistic irregardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment