Sunday 23 August 2015

Music of the Abstract: Goat $hit by Shit and Shine



Something more current for this mini-feature. I came across the band's 2015 release 54 Synth-Brass, 38 Metal Guitar, 65 Cathedral in an alternative music and book store in Sheffield, and was immediately interested in it from its bold cover design and a band name that is certainly censored on iTunes. Like with cinema, it's difficult for me to keep up with current music especially as I want to keep looking out for older material I've yet to discover and that, honestly, I find my tastes usually the completely opposite of most critics and popular opinion. I fear its snobbery continually when I think this, but its more that like many people my personal taste is very distinctive of myself, and that what is seen as popular in a consensus online is a culminated opinion which excludes the tangents in personal taste many have. That you have to balance out how expensive buying CDs, even MP3s, can be and the time it may takes to give something a chance even for free on a site like Spotify, nothing to get the cellos out to play a tragic song for, but meaning that I prefer to gamble with something older that I've heard great (or notorious) things about or have a moment of curiosity for, like with purchasing 54 Synth-Brass, 38 Metal Guitar, 65 Cathedral because the cardboard sleeve the disc is in looked interesting.

The album is great, which shows that over a century or so of electronic based music there is still so many unique sounds you can produce in the genre let alone others like rock etc. It's a great album just for the hellishly thick beats in each track, the sort of tracks that would be awesome to dance to in a nightclub, and there is no sense of repetition each one. Willing to use anything from real instruments, vocal samples, even a krautrock inspired use of a repetitious drum beat, some of the lengthy tracks on this album switch rhythms halfway through themselves almost creating two different songs within the same one. That this particular choice is a remix of another song, Hide From The Sun by Goat, shows how much cool music there still is being made either as a new composition or a new composition which rifts from a pre-existing one to create a hybrid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment